Wednesday, September 3, 2008

July 19 St Lary-Soulan to Bagneres-de-Luchon 55K, Col d' Val Louron d'Azet, Col d'Peyersuorde















































































A fabulous day. Beautiful weather, perfectly blue sky. I began the climb of the Col d'Azet at 7:40 A.M. so most of the way up the 10K climb I was in the shade of the mountain. My legs needed a day off, but I wanted my day off to be in Bagneres-de-Luchon where there are two bike shops. I stopped twice climbing Col d'Azet for photo opportunities. Incredible beauty. One photo, 2K from the top, is back at St Lary and entire climb of Pla d'Adet can be seen. I had some good and fun conversations on top of Azet with some French cyclists. I received some "bravos" for making it up with my panniers. A fantastic downhill run into Loudenvielle watching paragliders as I rolled along. Once in Loudenvielle I stopped for a break when I hear, "do you remember me?". It was the road cyclist from yesterday who had guided me into St Lary. We had a fantastic talk, his wife and an older gentleman were in on it as well. Sorry to say I never got his name. There are photos of these wonderful folks. The older man in the photo rides his bike 50K or so every third day including one of the Cols (big climbs). Get this! He is eighty years old!!! I hope to add to this later. I am now in Bagneres-de-Luchon where I'll stay for two nights, taking a zero day tomorrow(Sunday). Then on monday I'll cross into Spain for a few miles and one big climb, the Col du Portillon.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Dad!! Come on with the photos already. your writing makes the views sound spectacular, can't wait to see them. So is the mountainous part of your ride over? will there be any more big climbs? I love Spain, try to send me a post card from spain! Love ya

    faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just did a week long bike trip through the Pyrenees with Marmot Tours. Absolutely fabulous place to ride! We spent a day in Luchon and I had some repair work done at the bike shop Casa de Miguel. The owner stopped right in the middle of what he was working on and spent 45 minutes in the rain fixing my bike up so that I could complete the rest of my ride (finished with the Col du Tourmalet) safely. I was told later that he was quite a racer in his time, maybe on the Tour. Would like to find out more about who he is. If anyone reading this can point me in the right direction would really appreciate it. NO luck just surfing the internet so far. Can't wait to return. Good riding to all. Thanks.
    Fred at fmcom@mac.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fred,
      Sorry, I just noticed your post. 3 1/2 years later! Yes, The Pyrenees are simply awesome. Maybe the best touring in France. That is until you bike Provence, then the Alps. But, the Pyrenees are my favorite. I hope to return someday.
      Mike aka Cycling Simmons

      Delete