Sunday, June 8, 2008

August 29 Hoek van Holland 35 K Cycling around, I Hit the 3000 Mile Mark / 4828 Kilometers, Boarding Ferry to Harwich ENGLAND for 10:00 P.M. Departure

I arrived here, Hoek van Holland yesterday about 2:15 p.m. to catch the ferry boat over to Harwich England. But the ferry left at 2:00 p.m., and the 10:00 p.m. was booked as well as the 2:00 p.m. today. So I had to buy a ticket for today's 10:00 p.m. departure on Stena Line. It is a 9 1/2 hour trip across the North Sea and I arrive in Harwich England at 6:30 a.m. England time on August 30th. They are an hour behind western Europe. I then jump off the boat and onto a train to the Liverpool Station on the eastside of London. Stena Line sells a combo ticket, boat & train to London. Last night I stayed at a very nice, but inexpensive, pension right on the main street of this terrific little town of Hoek van Holland. The theme here is "Get Hoekt". Lots of nice eateries and bakeries. Yes, food here is appealing. I really like the Netherlands. And it is so much easier to navigate because English is like the second language and most everything is subtitled in English. Then there is the bicycle culture. Just an amazing system of bike paths and lanes, all well-marked. I easily found my way from downtown Amsterdam to Hoek without a map. Every intersections have detailed signage. I took a photos of the inside of a "not-so-big" Bike Shop here in Hoek. It only had 800 bicycles on display. Today I biked over to this library in the next town, s'Gravezande, three times, and also to the world-famous "Maeslantkering", the surge barrier that will hold back the ocean in the event of a massive storm. Well, let's hope they are correct!

No comments:

Post a Comment